the then, the late, and in the room of (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Feb 11 16:19:56 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Back during the Carter administration when all the "How to Speak
Southern" books were so popular, I remember a discussion of names for
the Civil War.

Generally called "The Civil War"
In the South, called "The War Between the States"
In the deep South, called "The War of Northern Aggression"
In parts of South Carolina, "The Late Unpleasantness"

-------------
> ----------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> > Subject:      Re: the then, the late, and in the room of

> > At 2/10/2010 12:17 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
> >
> >>Victor quotes
> >>
> >>"... _the then_ representatives ..."
> >>
> >>from1855. Amazing! Had anybody asked me, I would have WAG-ed _the
> >>then_ from more like 1965! Youneverknow!
> >
> > In the previous century, one might have read "the late
> > representatives ...", even tough they were still alive.  (That is,
> > "late" meaning "former".)  Or "in the room of the late
representative