TWINK

Sat Feb 13 17:30:16 UTC 2010

Mr. Lightner (see below) seeks to justify his earlier pointless
miscellaneous posting of words that he has personally just now noticed containing the
word “twink” in homosexual and other contexts. But these, his several more
recent contributions, contain an even more pointless (and self-contradictory)
set of postings postulating putative “etymologies” of “twink” as a
heterosexual's derogatory term for   homosexuals in general   (a not very common
usage) and (in particular) a gay lingo pejorative (in my experience, for
mindless, pretty young men of whatever sexual persuasion who are obsessed with
how nice they look).

As Mr. Lightner is surely well aware, slang expressions are notoriously
difficult to etymologize about at all. The likelihood of multiple origins is
usually great. However, given that clipping is one of the most commonplace
forms of nonce-word creation, the derivation of “twink” and “twinkie” from “
twinkle” (and perhaps ultimately from "twinkle toes") would seem to be far
more likely than a derivation from a relatively little-known satirical poem in
which “twink” is merely a supposedly drunken syntactic scrambling of the
words "star" and “twinkle” that is not even used attributively of any human
being and has nothing whatever to do with homosexuality. Belatedly, Mr.
Lightner found that the historical record confirms that this conjecture was just
plain silly. So he posts another one that is just as conjectural, if only
slightly less probable: "twink" comes from the cupcake.

Mr. Lightner fails to note that Bruce Rodgers in 1972 actually defined “
twink” as a (then-rare) expression for a homosexual who “lacks common sense,
especially on how to behave in public.” Furthermore, Rodgers defines “twinkie
” as a late 1960s term for “an attractive straight boy” (which is pretty
close, if not identical, to the current meaning in gay lingo); the shortening
of “twinkie” to “twink” is, again, pretty obviously a likely case of
garden-variety clipping. Rodgers also gives “twinkle toes” as a synonym for an
effeminate homosexual, also dating from the 1960s (together with “cupcake”
!).

The question of whether or not “twink” might ultimately be related to “
Hostess Twinkie” (as Mr. Lightner proposes) is not a very fruitful (no pun
intended) etymological question, but it is surely the less likely primary
etymology, if only because it is not the simplest one. In the end, though, there
is no clear way of even guessing with any certainty whether the chicken (no
pun intended) came before the egg, or vice versa. Maybe this is just another
case of clipping; maybe this is just another case of multiple origins; or
maybe (as Mr. Lightener's theory suggests) some queen (or homophobe) in San
Francisco in 1958 looked at a “Hostess Twinkie” and then looked at a gay man
and thought, “Golly, these are a lot alike” (without for a moment thinking
of "twinkle toes")? According to one web site, the url of which is given
below, The Howdie-Doodie Show in the 1950s advertised Hostess Twinkies, and the
show seems even to have had a logo of a smiling Twinkie in cowbody drag
labeled “Twinkie the Kid.” So it is I suppose not inconceivable that some
queen or homophobe who also watched children's shows saw the image of "Twinkie
the Kid" and thought, “Wow, that would be a good derogatory term to use
instead of “faggot”? Still, I don't think that Twinkie the Kid was particularly
gay, or even effeminate in his cowpoke garb (but who knows what a creative
college student mind might have come up with in the era of Bullwinkle). But
who can say? Was "twinkle toes" more important sociolinguistically in the
historical period in question than Twinkie the Kid or Hostess Twinkies? Which
was more likely to suggest gayness, Twinkie the Kid or a popular cupcake or
"twinkle toes"?

Note also that there are other derogatory terms that begin with tw- (twat,
twisted, twaddle, twiddle), and at least two of them (twirp, twit) are
fairly closely related in meaning to “twink.” These would seem to potentially “
have played a role in the word's dissemination” greater than its appearance
in a decade-plus older passing use in a culturally minor satirical poem that
mimicked the speech of a drunk person and had nothing whatever to do
semantically or pragmatically with gay culture, gay people, or even people at all.

It is perhaps worth noting that the term “Twinkies” for cupcakes has been
around from the 1930s, and was originally named when the creator saw a
billboard ad for “Dewar came "Twinkle Toe Shoe Company" and decided that that
would be a good name to use, in clipped form, for his crème-filled cupcake. See
<http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/twinkie.htm>.

Mr. Lightner also seems to want to treat the use of the terms “otter” and “
bear” in gaydom as new and surprising. These terms--especially “bear”
--have been around for so long (and are so well documented) that I cannot imagine
anyone who is seriously interested in slang not to have been familiar with
them. But then, once again, ADS-L has clearly become a site for the posting
of whatever transient piece of linguistic fluff comes to mind--even if it is
a dozen times a day.