spurious Lincoln quotes

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 15 15:53:49 UTC 2010

GB lists 575 raw hits up to 1910. Among the first dozen there is
another 1884 citation.

It's in an essay On Democracy, but the book title is listed as The
Illiad of Homer. This makes me suspicious of the GB citation, but I
can't check it because I am on a phone line... more when I get home.
Reading the text, the style seems about right for the period, but that
just means that it could be from 1880-1900.

There are two earlier citations, but they are almost surely GB
screwups. But there are dozens from the 1890s and they can't all be
wrong. I wonder what newspaper searches from the early 1880s might
find.