apocryphal = archetypal? unbelievable?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 16 16:04:12 UTC 2010

At 10:43 AM -0500 2/16/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>  >> "elevated to the status of demigods like the legendary King Alfred." <<
>
>Possibly record-setting semantic slidin' around.
>
>1. Demigods, not real, are by nature the subjects of myth or, by some
>definitions, legend.
>2. King Alfred was real (not 'legendary").

Well, as of 1918 he could have been both, given that "legendary" can
pertain to the exploits of (still or once) living legends.

OED, s.v. "legend", 1997 addition:

8. A person of such fame or distinction as to become the subject of
popularly repeated (true or fictitious) stories; esp. in phr. a
legend in one's (own) lifetime.
1918 L. STRACHEY Eminent Victorians 168 She was a legend in her
lifetime, and she knew it. 1940 W. FAULKNER Hamlet I. ii. 28 They all
knew Stamper. He was a legend, even though still alive.
1948 Time 19 July 34/3 Klondike Mike, the greatest of the mushers,
the sourdough who struck it rich and kept his poke, is a living
legend.
1978 Lancashire Life Sept. 51/1 During the last war he became
something of a legend.
1987 Hairdo Ideas July 20 Reminiscent of the styles worn by the
glamour girls of the 40's, this long, thick mass of loose waves will
make you a legend in your own time!

_legend_: the stuff of novels (true or fictitious)!

LH