legendary = believe it (verificatory) or not (fabulatory)

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Feb 17 12:40:54 UTC 2010

I like the folklorists' distinctions between folktale, myth, and
legend. Myth involves the sacred and is set in a time long before
this one; legend, as I think Linda Degh puts it (or was it Stith
Thompson?) smacks of reality: it's about a real person, place, etc.
in a historical or current time. Hence the class "urban legends."

But yes, that quote mixing "demigods" with King Alfred is mixing
those myth and legend divisions/distinctions and is being, as has
been said, semantically slippery.

---Amy West