poss. antedating of "shrapnel" (exploding fragments)

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 17 13:53:26 UTC 2010

During WWI, grenades were used that contained fragments, such as
splinters, of metal. It is entirely possible, therefore, that all the
references provided refer to the fragments contained within the grenade.

Only the third of your three references seems to support the claim of
shrapnel being used in a more general sense.

DanG