"cellar door"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 18 17:46:48 UTC 2010

Does anyone know if the earliest references to the beauty of the word
"cellar door" (for which purposes all parties seem to accept that it
*is* a word, in the great WOTY tradition) were presupposing a rhotic
or non-rhotic pronunciation?  That would seen to be a factor in one's
aesthetics on the matter.

LH