"don't think zebras"

Fri Feb 19 00:58:34 UTC 2010

1977 June 14, Modesto Bee. (Google News Archive full view)

I understand that in some medical schools one of the first things
medical students are taught is, "When you hear the sound of hoofbeats,
think of horses before zebras."

This excerpt is from a letter written by "Fresno Mother" to the
medical columnist Dr. Mendelsohn.

GB has a 1976 hit but I do not know if it is real.