Back to you and I (who went to row the boat ashore)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 19 02:45:04 UTC 2010

At 8:26 PM -0500 2/18/10, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 2/18/2010 07:32 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>>I've been monitoring "between you and I" on TV for years, and I
>>guaran*******tee that it's been almost as long since I've heard anybody, on
>>TV or off, say "between you and me."  In fact, AFAIK, I'm the only person I
>>know who stilll says "...and me" - because long ago I was taught that if I
>>didn't I'd be thought to be a lamebrain.
>>
>>Now James and I are the lamebrains. That's irony for you.
>
>I'm another.  (Although as a reviewer once wrote about the vampire
>movie "Black Sunday", I have an irony deficiency.)  I instructed a
>teen-age acquaintance to analyze this by removing the "and" and the
>named person, leaving only the pronoun, and asking herself would she
>still say "<preposition> I" (or as the object of a sentence)?  E.g.,
>"Tom gave the book to I" will immediately sound wrong, whereas "Tom
>gave the book to Jane and I" may sound OK.

This assumes that the rules for case on simple (non-conjoined)
objects are the same as those for conjoined ones, and it's clear that
for many speakers they aren't, just as the rules for simple subjects
(*Me can do it) are not the same as for conjoined subjects (Me and
you can do it/You and me can do it/You and I can do it).  There's
actually quite a lot of recent work addressing these issues from the
direction of just what the (sets of) rules are that people are
operating with, the upshot of which is that it's not quite so simple,
and not quite so unsystematic as it may appear.  In any case, I'm not
sure about the logic of the argument above, since "I" *is* the object
of the preposition in "*Tom gave the book to I", but "I" is *not* the
object in the latter case, "Jane and I" is.

LH