nomconjobjs: between you and me/I

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 22 15:45:59 UTC 2010

At 2/22/2010 09:13 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>My point wasn't that "...I"  had virtually replaced "...me," just that it
>had virtually replaced it in speech.  That's precisely consistent with MWEU.

And what hurt me was the deterioration in the TV news correspondent
corps, hearing "between he and his wife" (it hurts my ears slightly
less on the street).

Plus my wondering about the subjective in first position, since it
seemed rare to me to hear a subjective pronoun in the *only* position
after a preposition.  That is, that the "imprinting" of
"<preposition> <objective pronoun>" would reduce the frequency of
>nominatives are more common as second conjunct than as first conjunct,
>though the frequency of nominatives as first conjunct isn't negligible

addresses that question.

Arnold, is your data from speech, or writing?  And does one use
subjective/objective for English, or nominative/accusative?  (Or
nominative/objective?)

Joel