nomconjobjs: wider comments

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Feb 23 16:31:09 UTC 2010

On Feb 23, 2010, at 8:14 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 2/22/2010 08:43 PM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>> with this little posting, i hope to bow out of the nomconjobs
>> discussion for a while.  in the last few days, i've picked up eleven
>> topics to post about on my blog, and i'd like to get to them.
>
> Ignoring Arnold's wish, I've lost track among the technical terms,
> like "nomconjob[j]",

nominative conjoined object [of P or V].  i introduced the technical
terms at the beginning of my postings, and hoped not to have to
reproduce that discussion repeatedly throughout my many (i think ten)
postings.

> of whether this discussion has been entirely about
> "X and Y" formations, such as following "between".

yes.  "between you and i"  is the classic example, but the phenomenon
involves P (or V) with a conjoined NP object, one of whose conjuncts
is a nominative pronoun.

>  Are the
> considerations different for "<preposition> <nominative>" vs.
> "<preposition> <objective>"?

yes. that was the point of a couple of the postings.

> And if the answer is in the excellent MWDEU, just say so -- I'm half
> way to getting it.

MWDEU has a fine article on "between you and me", but it doesn't cover
most of the things i treated in my postings.

arnold