nomconjobjs: snide comment

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Feb 23 17:34:16 UTC 2010

On Feb 23, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 2/23/2010 11:31 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>> MWDEU has a fine article on "between you and me", but it doesn't
>> cover
>> most of the things i treated in my postings.
>
> If it doesn't cover "I gave he the book" or "She sat beside I" or
> "Tom hit I", I'm not going to buy it.  :-)

i saw that smiley.

of course, MWDEU doesn't cover non-standard case selection in simple
(non-conjoined) NPs.  it doesn't attempt to survey the many dialectal
variants that are out there, but focuses instead on those usages that
elicit some comment from critics because they are widespread or occur
in the speech and writing of "those who should know better" (not
MWDEU's phrasing).

arnold