MWDEU

Judy Prince jbalizsprince at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 23 18:09:58 UTC 2010

So you're calling me an old Scot, are you, Arnold?

Can't imagine a more pleasurable compliment.  I've  been to Glasgow, met
marvelous man the poet Tom Leonard, and do plan to return to hear those
musical Glaswegian sounds as well as to get around to Edinburgh and plenty
of travelly bits.

Will enjoy the books (in the) meantime.

Judy an ancient Scot

On 23 February 2010 11:49, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: MWDEU

> On Feb 23, 2010, at 8:38 AM, i wrote [to Judy Prince]:
>
> > nice nouning of "recommend".  in the OED (draft revision June 2009),
> > marked as originally Scots, now colloquial), with cites from c1550
> > though 2007.
>
> in the sense 'a recommendation'.  there's also an obsolete sense 'act
> of recommending', attested only in the 16th century.
>
> arnold

Frisky Moll Press:  http://judithprince.com/home.html

http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/author/jprince/

"I can't read my library card."  ---Jeff Hecker, Norfolk, VA