Quote: Everything should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler (antedating attrib Albert Einstein 1950)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 25 08:13:27 UTC 2010

A couple of VERY minor points that in no way detract from Garson's work.

Another reprint of Zukovsky's essays dates the same passage (or, at
least, that particular part of the essay) to 1948 and it looks like a
letter to WCW that's published as an essay--or perhaps the editor just
made it appear that way. Perhaps both are wrong--I found this snippet
that GB dates to 1949
http://bit.ly/bhiHSd
It is unquestionably the same excerpt and it in the journal Poetry, so
it seems to be the right place. Should be verified.

There is a parallel quotation from William Saroyan (1964, apparently):

> The matter of style is one that always excites controversy, but to me
> it's as simple as A B C, if not simpler.

No, I am not suggesting the two are in any way related. In fact, this
turn of phrase is quite common.

As for the original quotation, there is an interesting Dore Ashton
version (apparently from 1972 Studio International):

> Everything should be as simple as it _is_, but not simpler.

Ashton credits someone else attributing the line to Einstein. (Can't
tell who the intermediary is from the snippets.) In fact, the same
version appears in a couple of other sources (1965 and 1971) but I could
not identify or verify them.

The version "as simple as possible" appears in some intermediary
publications--in 1969 by Jonathan Williams and again several times in
the 1970s, but it seems to be the version that is most commonly used
today--George Will seems to have opened this can of worms on Mar. 18,
1982. But the NYT had the same version nearly a month earlier (free
version here: http://bit.ly/baCFHZ) in a story about an 18 year old
Rhodes scholar. Only a year earlier, Time put out a Newswatch column by
Thomas Griffith (Apr. 27, 1981) that used "as it can be" version. So
both coexisted for some time, perhaps even on mass-produced posters
(that seems to be the most likely possibility for an 18-year old to have
pinned it on her wall).

VS-)