"investigated" for 'under investigation'

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 26 02:08:35 UTC 2010

This use of the past participle struck me as strange. You could see it as an
elision of "being" -- "being investigated" would be normal -- and thus a
case of the very common headlinese deletion of forms of "be". But I don't
recall seeing it with "being" before.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/02/25/us/AP-US-Fort-Jackson-Investigation.html

1 Soldier Still Investigated on Fort Jackson Food

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- One of five soldiers connected to a military
translator program remains under investigation for alleged verbal threats
involving the food supply at the Army's largest training base,
an official said Thursday.

Mark Mandel