Can't see the wood for the trees

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 26 04:08:30 UTC 2010

At 10:15 PM -0500 2/25/10, Wilson Gray wrote:
>OT, but you may be interested to know that my late father, a native of
>the Deep South born in the early 1900's, referred to his dialect as
>his "Alabama _brogue_." He was the only person that I've ever known to
>use "brogue" as the term for a particular kind of *American* accent,
>instead of as for an Irish accent.
>
>In an earlier discussion of _brogue_, a few other correspondents noted
>that they, too, were familiar with the use of this word for a
>non-standard, but also non-Irish, American accent.

It's used standardly for "Okracoke brogue" and
(by extension) "Carolina brogue", as in the
documentaries of Walt Wolfram and his associates
in the North Carolina Language and Life Project.
There is clear influence of Irish English on this
dialect, though, so I'm not sure it counts as a
"non-Irish, American accent".

LH