Antedating of "Tsunami"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 28 20:44:02 UTC 2010

Checking the newspaper accounts, the first telegraphic reports indicated
a tidal wave, but subsequent articles did not use that term, choosing
instead "earthquake wave", "volcanic wave" or just "Great Wave". A part
of the problem is that the strength of marine earthquakes was, in part,
measured on the "tidal scale".

     VS-)