_To_? Or _for_?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 1 23:35:44 UTC 2010

For the past quarter-century or more, I've had a feeling that either I
or the rest of the English-speaking world has been losing control of
the TO / FOR distinction. Unfortunately, whenever this possibility has
occurred to me, either I'm not on line or no example of this supposed
shift in use comes to mind. However, thanks to George, to have come
together. He writes,

"... an illustration _to_ a wig-maker's ad."

I vastly prefer

"... an illustration _for_ a wig-maker's ad."

Of course, this could be merely a dialect split that, for any number
of possible reasons, escaped my notice till I took up residence in
this part of the country, just as I was once completely unaware that
there are millions of native-speakers of English living east of the
Mississippi and north of the Ohio who pronounce, e.g. _Elise_ as
approximately [I 'lis] and not as [I 'li:z] or who pronounce _noon_ as
[nIwn} and not as [nuwn].

You never know.

-Wilson

-Wilson