Further Antedating of "Real McCoy"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 2 00:41:10 UTC 2010

Speaking of the California Digital NC, it retrieves a cite from 1899 of "the
Real McCoy" as the title of a song, presumably the one we've been
discussing.  Still no lyrics, however.

The title's twenty-odd-year run, well into the period when the phrase became
idiomatic, is further evidence that the idiom alluded originally to the
song.  The lyrics might make it a moral certainty that the reverse was not
the case.

JL