Swordplay

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 2 02:35:22 UTC 2010

So, if a gladiatory slave managed to survive to the age of sixty, he
would be released from gladiation, but returned to his earlier state
of hard labor as a slave, for the remainder of his life, presumably?
No wonder that American slaves were so happy-go-lucky, knowing that
they would be retired to a life of Uncle-Remus-like ease till the end
of their days!

-Wilson

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Robin Hamilton
<robin.hamilton2 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Swordplay
>
>> Off the top of my noggin, look to "swordplay" for the root of the
>> "gun play" formation. M-W dates swordplay to 1602. But the first
>> sense of "play" in MW is "swordplay".
>>
>> OED cites "lindplegan" in Beowulf and "sweord [p]legan" in Waldere as
>> instances of sense 1b of "play" [n]: "The action of lightly and
>> briskly wielding or plying a weapon in fencing or combat. Freq. as
>> the second element in compounds" BUT then there's nothing until 1647.
>
>            SNIP
>
>> I can't recall if George Silver uses "sword play" or "play" in this
>> sense in his two manuals c. 1590, but I can take a look.
>>
>> ---Amy West
>
> LEME (Lexicon of Early Modern English --
> http://leme.library.utoronto.ca/search ) provides a positive wealth of
> examples, mostly glossing the Latin "Gladiator" and "Lanista", from 1538 to
> 1623.
>
> The entry [below] in Thomas Cooper, _Thesaurus Linguae Romanae et
> Britannicae_ (1584), on "Ludus", seems to provide the fullest unfolding of
> the link between play, Roman games, and Gladiators, leading to the English
> "sword play" and "sword players".
>
> Robin Hamilton

> [I used the search terms <sword* pl*> to find "sword play(er)(s)" as two
> separate words, and <sword*pl*> to find the single word form(s).]
>
>            Thomas Elyot, _The Dictionary of Sir Thomas Elyot_ (1538)
>
> Lanista, he that had the reule ouer sworde players, and caused them to be
> taught, and after solde them. Also that ordayned byrdes to fyghte.
>
> Munus, neris a gyft, acharge, a duetie or offyce. Munera, commune playes and
> gaye fightes for the peple to behold, to reioice them, prepared by officers
> of cities. As in Rome, sondry playes, sworde players, called Gladiatores,
> huntyng of wyld beastes. Also now in the citie of London, the watches &
> fyghtes on midsomer nightes.
>
> Mirmillones, were sworde players, where the one prouoked the other to
> battayle.
>
> Rudis, a rodde or yerde, whiche was gyuen to sworde players, whan they came
> to. lx. yeres olde, in token that they were sette at libertie. sometyme
> lybertie frome labour.
>
> Spartacus, was a famouse sworde player, whiche gathered an host of slaues, &
> made battayle agaynste the Romayns, and was vanquyshed by Crassus
>
> Bustuarij, sworde players, whiche went before the ded corpsis whan they were
> borne to be burned.
>
>            Richard Huloet, _Abecedarium Anglico Latinum_ (1552)
>
> Ruler ouer swordplaiers. Lanista. æ
>
> Sword players. Bustiarij, Murmillones
>
>            John Withals, _A Short Dictionary for Young Beginners_ (1556)
>
> A sworde plaier, Gladiator, ris. Vnde gladiatura ipsa ars gladiatorum.
> [...]

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain