emotional roller-coaster

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 3 14:12:18 UTC 2010

I don't see this cliche' in OED, but I could be blind.  Anyway:

1936 _Time_  (Aug. 10)
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,762296-1,00.html#ixzz0bYfD9HN9
:
Bill stuck to his role as friend of the family, while Jock and Mary went
careening up & down the economic and emotional roller-coaster on which the
rest of the world was riding.

GB indicates that the phrase became popular after WWII.  _Time_ appears not
to have used it again for decades."Roller-coaster of emotions" does not show
up in GB until 1971.

JL