Singular or plural?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 4 07:17:00 UTC 2010

Has anybody who has actually served as an EM in some branch of the
military  within at least the past half-century heard "barrack-room
(X)" used in the wild? In the U.S., a barracks was, before the coming
of the "volunteer" Army, at least, a two-story wooden building of the
shotgun-shack school of architecture, some dating back to WWI. The
rough equivalent of a German _Erdgeschoss_ held the latrine. A tiny
part of the first floor was closed off to provide a "private" room for
the barracks sergeant. The rest of the barracks, first and second
floors, was open space filled with, in basic-training units,
double-decker bunks. After basic, bunks might or might not been
double-deckers. In the gigantic, by American standards, brick
palace-barracks taken over from the Wehrmacht, whether bunks were
single- or double-decker depended on where, in the barracks, the
Random Fuck Machine assigned you. The individual rooms in the
barracks, which held as few as three (they held only two head of EM
under the Wehrmacht) warm bodies or as many as God-only-knows, were
called "bays" and not "barrack(s) rooms."

Since the US Army had taken over the remaining 19th-c. posts left over
from WWII, the Germans built brand-new, college-campus-style posts for
the Bundeswehr. The irony!

FWIW, I'd heard the term, "warm body" in its usual use, here and
there, before I joined the Army. In the Army, however, "management"
used the term to death. Hence, we EM didn't use it.

Among L.A. power-plant human resources, ex-sailors spoke of the
"turbine deck" and the "boiler deck." For us ex-GI's, it was the
"turbine bay" and the "boiler bay." And everyone used "tur-bin" and
not "tur-bine," which latter seems to be the ordinary pronunciation on
the East Coast.

-Wilson

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 9:58 AM, James Smith <jsmithjamessmith at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       James Smith <jsmithjamessmith at YAHOO.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Singular or plural?
>
> Of course it's not quite the same thing because it's a compound adjective, but "barrack room" is fairly common; e.g., Kipling's "Barrack Room Ballads", barrack-room lawyer, barrack room brawl and so forth.  Might this perhaps indicate a singular noun form was once in use?
>
> James D. SMITH               |If history teaches anything
> South SLC, UT                |it is that we will be sued
> jsmithjamessmith at yahoo.com   |whether we act quickly and
>                                    decisively
>                             |or slowly and cautiously.

-Wilson