Kryponite and garlic--(Why the hair-salon name "Krytonnite"?)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Mon Jan 4 17:10:29 UTC 2010

Here's a guess as to the origin of the hair-salon name "Kryptonnite."  Kryptonnite is the only substance in the universe that can make Superman lose all his strength.  I don't remember if it knocks him out or merely renders him totally weak. Meanwhile, the 2 n's in "Kryptonnite" permit us to divide the word into "Krypton" plus "nite" (alternate spelling of "night").

 So the hair-salon name humorously implies that the women who emerge from a hair-styling session there will be so feministically powerful that they can make even Superman go weak in the knees. They are therefore  sort of promised a Krypton night, i.e., an evening out in which they will can have a devastating effect on whichever men they may be interacting with.

Gerald Cohen
P.S. Btw, Superman (as a Superbaby) arrived on earth in a spaceship sent by his parents from the planet Krypton shortly before it blew up.