Fictional Materials for OED

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Tue Jan 5 16:38:58 UTC 2010

            "Don't truth me."

Def:  Don't force on my attention an inconvenient truth.

Source:  Vonnegut, Kurt. _The Sirens of Titan_. New York: Delacorte Press,
1959.

Not noted in UrbanDictionary.

<<
"Don't truth me," said Boaz in his thoughts, "and I won't truth you." It was
a plea he had made
several times to Unk.
Boaz had invented the plea, and its meaning was this: Unk was to stop
telling Boaz truths
about the harmoniums, because Boaz loved the harmoniums, and because Boaz
was nice enough
not to bring up truths that would make Unk unhappy.

Most of the google hits, and all of the gogglebooks hits, refer back
directly or indirectly to Vonnegut, so the phrase may not be completely
feral.

Robin Hamilton