"Bindle"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 10 04:15:16 UTC 2010

Bad guess, Robin. I subscribed to Astounding/Analog from 1948 till
1995, two years after I got my first Mac and found myself spending
most of my free time with the computer, MacUser, and Macworld, as the
SF-mags piled up unread. I was a charter-subscriber to F&SF and also
maintained that subscription till '95. Cordwainer Smith's daughter was
a classmate of mine at M.I.T.

I used to be quite serious about my pulp fiction. Before I discovered
SF mags via Amazing in 1945, I read Tarzan-genre and cowboy-genre
mags.

Thanks for the chance to brag!

-Wilson

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Robin Hamilton
<robin.hamilton2 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "Bindle"
>
>> Wasn't there also a story named "Cities in Flight"? Or is that just a
>> brainfart?
>
> I'm not sure if there was ever one particular story with that title, before
> it became the cover-title for the whole series, but there may well have
> been.  I came on it in the late sixties via _Earthman Come Home_ which,
> though I didn't know it at the time, repackaged as a novel what were
> originally separate short stories published in John W. Campbell's
> _Astounding_, later renamed (after Wilson's time, I'd guess <g>) _Analog_.
>
> Robin
>
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Robin Hamilton
>> <robin.hamilton2 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>> ---------------------- Information from the mail
>>> header -----------------------
>>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>> Poster:       Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM>
>>> Subject:      Re: "Bindle"

>>> I must have come across this when it was reprinted as part of the third
>>> of
>>> what became the Cities in Flight series -- _Earthman, Come Home_ (1955).
>>> "Bindlestiff" was used to refer to a particular kind of flying city, as I
>>> remember it.  The whole series drew on a range of background reference to
>>> American workers' movements.
>>>
>>> Robin Hamilton

-Wilson
–––