Antedating of "Junior High School"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Jan 11 20:42:12 UTC 2010

I too attended a one-building school (where my father was superintendent). The "grade school" or "grammar school" (grades 1-8) was on the ground floor, the "high school" (grades 9-12) on the second floor (no "junior high" division as such). Naturally, I grew up assuming that the term "high school" referred to architectural altitude.

--Charlie