Sandscript-eggcorn?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 12 00:44:51 UTC 2010

Good one!

But it reminds me of another story and a complaint.

The year was 1956. The school was Washington University in Saint
Louis. For frosh English we had to read The History of Tom Jones, A
Foundling, and write a paper of our own devise about it it. Since the
book is about as long as the Bible, there are any number of things to
write about. Well, in one of the chapters, Fielding describes a fight
over Tom between two girls. It's a real killer! The language that
Fielding uses is a parody of the language that Homer uses to describe
the combat between Achilles and Hector, if you were to translate that
passage into English word-for-word, making no attempt whatsoever to
make it read like something originally written in more-or-less
colloquial English.

It cracked me up! I thought that I would never stop laughing!

So, I wrote my paper on this.

The prof gave me an A and explained that he was doing so because he
didn't feel that he in good conscience give me any other grade. He had
never read Homer in the original Greek. Hence, he had no way to
evaluate any of the claims made in my paper.

WTF?! This prof - a *very* nice guy and a great lecturer - was
devoting a semester to teaching a book that he was incapable of fully
understanding, for lack of sufficient educational background?! And
what about the students? Even if the prof had been fluent in reading
Homeric Greek, how could he have explained to the class what was funny
about this particular section, given that the only thing that makes it
funny is having a clear knowledge of what's being parodied. He hardly
had the time to teach the class Homeric Greek. OTOH, if the class had
been familiar with Homeric, no explanation would have been necessary.

If I had command over creation, I'd forbid the teaching of the book,
unless both the teachers and the students knew Homeric. Schools would
have to teach the movie.

And you know what *really* blows? My own high school no longer offers
four semesters of Homeric Greek as a *requirement*. It now offers two
semesters of Classical Greek as an elective.

Yet, the textbooks that I used during 1952-1954 are still in print,
after all these years. I wonder what school uses them?

-Wilson

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain