Still :-) mostly -- McWhorter on "standard English"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 14 19:15:01 UTC 2010

If there are several "standard Englishes", I might argue that that
just reinforces my skepticism -- they presumably come from several
groups of actual speakers.

As for Matt Gordon's comment about standard English having been
"consciously constructed", isn't everyone's language constructed,
from hearing and reading others?  Or are "unconsciously constructed"
languages somehow better, more real, than "consciously constructed"
ones?  What portions of my learned standard English speech was
consciously constructed, and what portions unconsciously constructed?

(Just a little water in the engine's gasoline -- although I know
there's a better metaphor around; I just can't bring it forth.  Not
"grease for the wheels", but the converse.)

Joel