:-) mostly -- McWhorter on "standard English"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 15 16:47:19 UTC 2010

>>Ignorance of our own way of speaking, of its "parity" with all
others' often concludes with shame and, often as well, arrogance by those
who adopt the power language of the day, as all of us on this list have
done.
Then why don't we have much power?

Also, if "way of speaking" means "how we talk when not placed on the spot,"
all dialects are equal in the sight of God and Bloomfield.  Beyond
a fundamental level, however, serious discourse in today's world requires at
a minimum the decent mastery of standard syntax and vocabulary as well as
more subtle conventions of organziation and presentation.

The discipline for the writer and confidence instilled in the reader that
grow from lucid writing is two of the things that allow vast, multiethnic
societies to keep functioning.

I don't care if my doctor, for example, sounds like Leo Gorcey or Reba
McEntire. But he'd better be able to summarize my case so
other professionals (and I) can understand it, and he'd better be adept
enough in "power language" to understand the professional journals that he
reads.

Of course evi;-doers will exploit dialect differences to bully, ridicule,
and tyrannize. The frequent reduction of the situation, however, to "good
dialects" battling heroically against bad "power language" (with the help of
heroic linguists) is a caricature of reality.

JL