Antedating of James Joyce quote

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 16 03:08:00 UTC 2010

Yale quotes this famous dictum at third hand from Lucas, 1936.

1931 Max Eastman in _Harper's Magazine_ (Oct.): [Joyce said to me] "The
demand that I make of my reader is that he should devote his whole life to
reading my works." He smiled as he said that - smiled and then repeated it.
And my answer was, "You absolutely insist on giving them all that pleasure!"

Gaak.

JL