:-) mostly -- McWhorter on "standard English"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 16 03:40:16 UTC 2010

At 1:34 AM +0000 1/16/10, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>Register?  Not nearly as clear as "dialect"

Actually "register" is a lot clearer than "dialect" if you want to
refer to register.   Your observation is like saying we shouldn't
refer to lymphoma because it's not nearly as clear as cancer or that
we shouldn't refer to fricatives or stops because that's not nearly
as clear as consonants.

LH