Heard on The Judges: _kickback_, n: new meaning

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 16 04:50:47 UTC 2010

Twenty-ish, black male speaker:

I was going to a _kickback_ ...

Judge:

A what?

Speaker. A _kickback_. Anyway ...

Judge:

What's a "_kickback_"?

Speaker:

It's, uh, like a family get-together. In the backyard. You have some
bobby-q (an actual spelling used on?/in? a neon sign in Sth-Cent.
L.A., more likely joking than real; helped me to catch the pun in the
cookbook title, Barbecuing With Bobby), some brew, a little taste (=
"hard liquor") ...

BTW, this guy's speech, though otherwise typically working-class BE,
was fully r-ful. He actually said "barbecue" and not the "bobbih-cue"
of the last century.

--
-Wilson
–––