Antedating of James Joyce quote

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 16 14:59:12 UTC 2010

Even if they started at birth, why did they give up at age thirteen?

But perhaps Joyce was simply employing the figure of speech we scholars term
"exaggeration," and expected only that readers would devote the *remainder*
of their lives to reading (n.b., not "understanding") his works.

Unless all members of the group expired on its final day (a consummation
DTBW), I would say, regrettably, that they had failed their master.

(Disclaimer: Satire.  Joyce, once an exceptional writer, eventually became
a great  eccentric and finally a massive literary figure  - sometimes
related but not hardly
JL