McWhorter on "Negro" [Was: on "Negro English"]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 16 19:47:05 UTC 2010

"Broadly parodied"? "Ineptly set down"? "Burlesqued"? "Distorted"? "Made an
object of ridicule"? "Recast as minstrel-show/ music-hall patter"? "Turned
to low-comedic purpose"? "Force-fit into literary/ subliterary convention"?
"Simplified"?  "Stylized" ? "Stereotyped"?

Can't think of an existing technical term: even "put into blackface" is new
to me, though instantly comprehensible.  (Applied to "Larry," however, it's
misleading and even tendentious.)

JL