copasetic 1920 and Re: [ADS-L] copasetic, was Re: [ADS-L] Readex Newspapers

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 17 14:16:13 UTC 2010

I checked America's Historical Newspapers, including the African-American newspapers, and didn't find anything earlier than 1919.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Stephen Goranson [goranson at DUKE.EDU]
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 7:54 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: copasetic 1920 and Re: [ADS-L] copasetic,              was Re: [ADS-L] Readex Newspapers

"Copasetic" is earliest attested in a popular fictionalized biography
of Abraham
Lincoln. So the proposal here is that the use of "copasetic" was "picked up"
ultimately from that best-selling book.

The Chicago Tribune has what may be the earliest reported reuse after the uses
in the 1919 book. Note that the 1920 use retains the 1919 spelling; spellings
later (with oral transmission?) varied considerably.

Chicago Tribune [provides a heading for a real classified ad in The Times,
Thursday, Jul 22, 1920; pg. 4; Issue 42469; col B]

A LINE O' TYPE OR TWO
Hew to the Line, let the quips fall where they may
VERY COPASETIC
[From the London Times]
Good position--French lady, cooks herself, speaks English, beautiful climate;
exchange of money favourable; good references.Dejardin, 15, Porte Gayole,
Boulogne

Stephen