Retroflexion [was: McWhorter on "Negro English"]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 17 17:05:24 UTC 2010

In terms of who retroflexes/palatalizes these clusters, I noticed the
phenomenon last night in a clip of Michelle Obama urging donations to
help the recovery in Haiti mentioned the "schools deSTRoyed" and the
"parenTS TRying to protect their children", both with the "shch"
sequence.  The latter one crosses word boundaries, if that's of
interest.

LH