McWhorter on "Negro" [Was: on "Negro English"]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 18 21:44:03 UTC 2010

In my own limited experience, "coloreds," pl., was mostly associated with
white, blue-collar speakers (like Archie Bunker on "All in the Family,"
beginning ca1971).  As such speakers seem more likely to be crudely and
openly prejudiced, the noun became offensive before the adjective did. I
haven't heard it in a quarter century or more.

I don't think anybody uses "colored" as a sing. n. in the U.S. I certainly
can't recall hearing it.

JL