Omission of definite article

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 18 22:53:45 UTC 2010

Welcome, Kelli. And yes, some have noticed.

I can't say just when I began to note the replacement of "in the hospital"
by "in hospital" on cable news, but it's been a few years.  "In future" may
be more frequent. Yet "out of hospital" still sounds very UK.

The changeover is not very far advanced, though, even among the chattering
classes, and I'd still be surprised to hear anyone beyond the media or
lacking a strong British-Irish connection omit the article.

I almost said "Anglo-Irish," which sounds fine to me, but I didn't want to
offend any Scots, Welsh, or Manx readers, for example.

JL