McWhorter on "Negro" [Was: on "Negro English"]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jan 22 00:38:23 UTC 2010

At 1/21/2010 02:54 PM, Ann Burlingham wrote:
>I heard it while interviewing a prospective employee within the last year. I
>don't think she was older that 20.

I assume Ann is reporting merely use by a young person today of a
term that has gone out of currency, or perhaps also out of
acceptability, rather than associating the use with any racism.  In
any case, I might put this down to a young person's uncertainty as to
what term or terms are acceptable today to (and I must choose some
term here) African-Americans.  A young person today might have a
favorable view of the NAACP, which as Jon Lighter noted has not
changed from "colored" to something else.

Joel