Multitasking: learning to text and teach at the same time

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Fri Jan 22 03:14:48 UTC 2010

There's a new post on the Web of Language --  Multitasking: learning
to text and teach at the same time

Most of my students belong to the digital generation, so they are
proficient multitaskers. They take notes in class, participate in
discussion, text on their cell phones, and surf on their laptops, not
sequentially but all at once. True, they’re not listening to their
iPods in class, and they may find that inconvenient, since they like a
soundtrack accompanying them as they go through life. But they’re
taking advantage of every other technology they can cram into their
backpacks. They claim it helps them learn, even if their parents and
teachers are not convinced.

Recently one of my students, a college senior, added to this panoply
of technology an older form of classroom inattention: while I explored
the niceties of English grammar, he was doing homework for another
class. When I asked him to put away the homework and pay attention, he
replied that he was paying attention, just multitasking to maximize
efficiency. “I can multitask too,” I said, taking out my cell phone
and starting to text as I went on with the lesson....

You can multitask too, by reading the rest of this post on the Web of
Language: http://bit.ly/weblan
____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics