Antedating of "New York Mets" (OED 1964)

Sun Jan 24 20:18:31 UTC 2010

I was wondering if anyone here would say anything about the original
AA (American Association) major league Mets, who had some pretty good
years in the mid 1880's.  They even were in a precursor of the World
Series in its first year (1884), going down in four to the NL's
Providence Grays.  Tim Keefe, later a standout for the Giants as a
pitcher and a Hall of Famer, started off with them, and they had a
first baseman named Dave Orr, who was one of the better sluggers in
this part of the dead ball era--he was a big guy, too, at least
weight-wise-- he was 5'11" and 245 lbs., but managed to hit 9 homers
in a day when they were really, really rare. They were owned by Jim
Mutrie, who also owned and managed the Giants in the NL, and later
on, some of their best players were shuffled to the Giants.   The
1881 reference is to the same team, but before they became major
league.  Terry Larkin, Bill Schenck, and Oscar Walker all played in
both NL and AA, though none of them were major league Mets.  Walker,
at least, was a good player, and before the drink got him, Larkin had
a decent year or two.
The Mets folded after the 1887 season.

Paul Johnston