Fw: guido guidette

Seán Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Mon Jan 25 07:09:40 UTC 2010

Not to mention this example of hypercorrection:
'In any case, as Labov said on NPR a few years ago: “Whatever the influence
of the mass media are, it doesn’t affect the way we speak every day...."'

Sean Fitzpatrick
Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?
I blame Global Warming.
http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/
-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Horn [mailto:laurence.horn at YALE.EDU]
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: guido guidette

One additional highlight of the Virginia Heffernan piece in today's N. Y.
Times Magazine section
(http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/magazine/24FOB-medium-t.html) is a nice
example of a plural pronoun with singular sex-known but indefinite
antecedent, a phenomenon we've discussed in the past.*  Here's Sammi
Sweetheart, describing the role she plays in the MTV Reality show, "Jersey
Shore", as quoted by Heffernan

"A Guidette takes really good care of themselves, has pretty hair, cakes on
makeup, has tan skin, wears the hottest heels."

LH