scoff/scarf

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 25 15:27:16 UTC 2010

Both _scoff_ and _scarf_ are known in the US.  _Scoff_ used to be (a hundred
and more years ago) associated with deep-sea sailors. _Scarf_ (perhaps
surprisingly) first shows up in AAVE and begins to move into WAVE in the
'60s.

Or so the limited records indicate.

JL