precipee

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 25 21:19:58 UTC 2010

Looks like an extension of what I think of as "French loanword final
consonant deletion", as in /ku: d@ gra:/ ("koo duh grah") for "coup de
grace". At some point the speaker (or an antecedent in the oral transmission
chain) learned that "French final consonants aren't pronounced" -- a
beginner's rule of thumb for French orthography -- and misapplied it to
consonant *sounds*. I don't think of "precipice" as being French any more,
but maybe this person did.

m a m