Q: Translate the "Yanker didel" lyrics?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jan 26 17:47:49 UTC 2010

Can someone who is knowledgeable in Dutch translate the following,
alleged to be an ancestor of "Yankee Doodle"?  (The earliest such
allegation that I have found via Google Books is 1855, in the
Duyckincks' _Cyclopaedia_.)  I am also interested if these lyrics or
similar could have been used circa 1600-1650.

Yanker didel, doodel down
Didel, dudel lanter,
Yanke viver, voover vown,
Botermilk und Tanther.

The Duyckincks say "in use among the laborers, who in the time of
harvest migrate from Germany to the Low Countries, where they receive
for their work as much buttermilk as they can drink and a tenth of
the grain secured by their exertions."  They say the last line is
"buttermilk and a tenth".

And "This song our informant has heard repeated by a native of that
country, who had often listened to it at harvest time in his
youth."  If so, the words would at least have been understandable circa 1800.

Joel