Heard on local NE PA news

Michael Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Tue Jan 26 18:20:18 UTC 2010

On Jan26, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Paul Johnston wrote:

> Lot of people from Battle [krIk] around West Michigan.  It's the
> usual vernacular pronunciation, though it's a stereotype, and many
> people, in Battle Creek included, avoid it.
>
> Paul Johnston

from BC myself, i only recall hearing it used for effect: quite often in the name of neighboring "harper [krIk]" --for a long time the undeserved butt of hick jokes.

(of course, i recognize that my recollections are not identical to my experience. i wasn't taking notes in elementary and high school.)

michael