House(s)

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 27 01:14:32 UTC 2010

Nothing peculiar about it.  A number of nouns ending in fricatives
have a voicing alternation in the plural:  thief/thieves,
sheaf/sheave's, sheath/sheathes, wife/wives, house/houses, etc.  It
goes back to Old English plurals in -as.  OE fricatives were always
voiced between vowels.  After the vowel of the plural suffix was
dropped in Middle English, the voicing alternation remained in plurals
of some nouns.

Herb