the meat and the motion

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 28 00:27:53 UTC 2010

At 3:37 PM -0500 1/27/10, Charles Doyle wrote:
>It's not the meat, it's the motion. 1951 The saying may have entered
>oral tradition from the title and recurring line of a
>rhythm-and-blues song written by Henry Glover and recorded by The
>Swallows: "It Ain't the Meat (It's the Motion)." Or, the song may
>have been built around an existing proverb, as yet undiscovered.
>Proverbial uses of the expression do not appear in print until the
>1980s, after Maria Muldaur's popular rendition of the song in 1974
>had nudged it--and the saying--toward the (white) mainstream.
>Interestingly, in the song the term _meat_ refers sexually to a
>woman ("It ain't the meat, it's the motion / Makes your daddy want
>to rock");

I distinctly remember Maria (D'Amato) Muldaur singing "...that makes
your mama want to rock".  I don't have that one on my iTunes,
curiously, although I have 15 other songs of hers, but that's my
memory.  Scrolling through googled references, the first page has
multiple hits for "makes your mama/momma want to rock", "makes your
daddy want to rock", and "makes your baby want to rock", so that's
not much help.  I find it hard to believe that "meat" refers here to
a woman, or any parts thereof, at least when MM sings it.  I'll try
to find an actual recording to confirm this.

LH