the meat and the motion

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 28 02:02:09 UTC 2010

Re the song:

B/w "Bicycle Named Tillie," a slightly-bowdlerized re-make of "My
Bicycle Tillie," by Bill Samuels, from the '40's:

BNT : When I put on my brand-new _pedals_

MBT: When I put on my brand-new _rubber_

I was surprised to find, while researching this topic (and allowing
Charlie to beat me to the post!), that, apparently "rubber" was once -
and, perhaps, still is, for all I know - used for the tires of a
bicycle. IME, it's used only WRT cars.

"Beside You," by The Swallows, is one of my most-favoritest oldies.

Glover also wrote "Work With Me, Annie," thereby making "work" yet
another cover-word for the F-word, not to mention "workbench" for bed,
and "workroom/-shop" for bedroom. I don't know whether there's any
connection between this song and "working-girl" for prostitute, but I
seriously doubt it.

But his magnum opus was "The Twist," of which he also made the
original recording, later covered by "Chubby Checker," as everyone old
enough knows. Whether he also invented the dance, I don't know fo'
sho'. Glover followed Chubby around, challenging him to a twist
contest. Naturally, Chubby - or his manager, perhaps - was to swift to
go for the okey-doke.

Another one of his songs, "Finger-Poppin' Time," was covered by the
kings of bluegrass, The Stanley Brothers, who wrote and originally
recorded the legendary "Mountain Dew." "Serious* cross-cultural
influence on Glover's part. The Stanleys liked the song well enough to
cut two versions. R&B a la bluegrass!

IAII, all songs mentioned are on iTunes.

-Wilson

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      the meat and the motion
>
> It's not the meat, it's the motion. 1951 The saying may have entered oral tradition from the title and recurring line of a rhythm-and-blues song written by Henry Glover and recorded by The Swallows: "It Ain’t the Meat (It's the Motion)." Or, the song may have been built around an existing proverb, as yet undiscovered. Proverbial uses of the expression do not appear in print until the 1980s, after Maria Muldaur's popular rendition of the song in 1974 had nudged it--and the saying--toward the (white) mainstream. Interestingly, in the song the term _meat_ refers sexually to a woman ("It ain't the meat, it's the motion / Makes your daddy want to rock"); however, in the proverb _meat_ usually designates a penis (though occasionally some non-sexual referent). 1983  Cynthia Heimel, _Sex Tips for Girls_ (New York:  Simon & Schuster) 187: "Stop any girl on the street and ask her if she cares if a man is well hung, and she will look at you aghast. 'Of course not,' she'll say, 'it's !
>  not what you've got, it's how you use it. It's not the meat, it's the motion.'"  1984  Cecil Adams, _The Straight Dope_ (Chicago:  Chicago Review) 45: "In short, your best bet is to reconcile yourself to your present equipment. Remember, it ain't the meat, it's the motion."  1984  Leslie R. Schover, _Prime Time: Sexual Health for Men Over Fifty_ (New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston) 50: "[A]s the time-honored saying goes, 'it's not the meat--it's the motion.'"
>
> --Charlie

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain