meaningless-do from Welsh and medieval English military history

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Jan 28 19:39:56 UTC 2010

I will not get into the historical debates on this, but can recommend an interesting take that our local syntax/semantics reading group wrestled our way through this week.  It's not well-written but has an interesting semantics-based argument for indigenous development:

DEBRA ZIEGELER (2004) Reanalysis in the history of do: A view from construction grammar Cognitive Linguistics 15–3, 529–574

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)